Roles of Cyber Republic (Concensus/Nodes/Council)

We know that CRC now stands for Cyber Republic “Consensus” but not “Council”.

In the EOY report, it mentions 12 of the Active Nodes will be run by Cyber Republic Council, which are part of the Consunsus… So now CRC stands for both meanings, which I found it confused.

Apart from the name issues, I’d like to have a further clarification on:

1. what are the connections between CRC Nodes elected (in April) and CRC Members elected (in August)? Are they the same thing?

2. If not, how may CRC Members are to be elected in August? 12 also?

3. Can the CRC Nodes also be elected as CRC Members?

4. Will the Members be receiving ELA in the operation of DPoS Consensus? If not, how are the Members be funded for their position? By CR fund?

Excuse me for using the names interchangeably (and perhaps incorrectly).

Hi, CRC will only be used to refer to the Cyber Republic Consensus, which is the workflow in which CR funds are approved and invested.

The statement, “Cyber Republic Council is part of the consensus” only refers to how the council picks the Proposals (from the Suggestions or internally) in the CRC (consensus) workflow.

Now of the active nodes, 12 will be run by the council, the nodes are part of dPoS Consensus not CR Consensus. But the Council is connected to both:

• dPoS Consensus is for signing blocks, 12 of the 108 nodes are run by the council
  • CR Consensus (CRC) is for picking Suggestions and approving proposals, the same council does this too

The council and secretariat team controls 12 of the dPoS Consensus nodes and the council is also in charge of approving CRC proposals.

To answer your questions:

1. What are the connections between CRC Nodes elected (in April) and CRC Members elected (in August)? Are they the same thing?

This is a bit confusing so let me explain what will happen in order.

• In March when dPoS is online initially, only the 12 council + secretariat dPoS nodes will start signing blocks, this will test the stability of the system.

• In April we will open the voting for the rest of the 96 dPoS nodes (for a total of 108) once that is done, the full 36 active nodes will now sign blocks. At this point open public merge mining will be supported, “from a technical sense”, the final decision to open it will still be up to Elastos Foundation and the QA team.

Now up to this point the 12 Council + Secretariat active nodes will be managed by only the interim council and the Secretariat team.

• In August the first real election for CR Council will finish, the elected 7 council members will replace the interim council. Each of them will generate a private key to control 1 of the 7 nodes reserved for them. The Secretariat will also select some strategic partners and personally manage the other 5 nodes of the 12 non-rotating active nodes.

In addition to being responsible for signing blocks and managing a dPoS node, these 7 council members will also take over responsibilities to pick Suggestions from the community and approve Proposals in the CRC workflow.

2. If not, how may CRC Members are to be elected in August? 12 also?

This is not the proper term, CRC Members, I assume you mean CR Council members, in which case 7 are elected.

3. Can the CRC Nodes also be elected as CRC Members?

I think what you are really asking here is are the 12 dPoS nodes controlled by the CR Council and the CR Council the same thing. The answer is yes, 7 of the dPoS nodes are controlled by literally the same 7 people on the CR Council, other 5 are Secretariat Team.

4. Will the Members be receiving ELA in the operation of DPoS Consensus? If not, how are the Members be funded for their position? By CR fund?

We should stop using the word members, CRC Members makes no sense, that would refer to the entire community. We are all members of the CRC, perhaps you are referring to the 96 participant nodes in the dPoS consensus, in which case they are funded by the dPoS rewards, you can find more info at:

Hope that helps!

Hello Clarence
I would like to know if there are already people waiting to be elected as council members? What are the requirements to become a CR Council member?
thank you

No, the process hasn’t been released yet, the election should be open to the public, meaning I doubt there will be requirements except KYC and being public.

According to the announcement:

Step 2: “Main net supports DPoS and is open to all PoW miners. At this time, the 12 CRC Supernodes will go live and begin taking part in the DPoS consensus.”

Who are the 12 CRC Supernodes? Will their information be made public?

In August the first real election for CR Council will finish, the elected 7 council members will replace the interim council. Each of them will generate a private key to control 1 of the 7 nodes reserved for them. The Secretariat will also select some strategic partners and personally manage the other 5 nodes of the 12 non-rotating active nodes.

At the moment, the 12 CRC supernodes are managed by the interim council members(most specificially the secretariat team - This is Rebecca Zhu at the moment). However, whenever the 12 new council members are voted in place come august 2019, the new secretariat team from the council will run these 12 supernodes - each supernode controlled by the public key/private key of the newly elected council member of Cyber Republic.