Elastos: The Flexible Fortress of the dApp World

8 Likes

another quality writeup @chrisp and @ccoombsesmail

1 Like

Great article, thank you. One issue that I really see as dampening the usefulness of the Ethereum DAPP is no kind of version control, once you create a DAPP that’s it there is no way to change it if a bug or security issue is found. Since the DAPP in Elastos is linked to a developer or company ID is there some way to implement some sort of version control so that when a user executes the Elastos DAPP they run the latest and most secure version.

So that begs the following:

• Can Elastos DAPP call another Elastos DAPP when it is running?
  • If the above is true is there a limit to the number of DAPP’s called?
  • If there is some form of versioning in the Elastos infrastructure, where is it implemented (DAPP, Carrier,etc)?

Thanks

1. There are different kinds of DApps on elastos. While ethereum categorizes DApps as a simple smart contract dapp, elastos categorizes DApps as way more then just smart contracts. Instead, we are talking about actual user facing apps like chat apps that are decentralized and cannot be shut down by any third party. So in that sense, yes elastos DApps can absolutely talk to other DApps. Take multiple chat apps that are already using Elastos Carrier. U can already talk from one chat dapp to another on elastos and this has been shown provided they both utilize the DID sidechain. If you’re talking about ethereum smart contracts, then it has the same strengths and weaknesses as your public ethereum smart contracts
  2. there is no limit to the number of DApps called because every communication is done via carrier and carrier is pretty much the P2P infrastructure that handles all the communication between users and devices
  3. the versioning can be handled by the apps themselves because these are actual apps that people download and installed via trinity. All of this will be part of trinity dapp lifecycle management. So there’s not much difference here compared to traditional apps. All of this is tied to developer’s DID.
3 Likes

Thank you pachhaisaab, I understand that DAPPs can talk to other DAPPs, what is not clear is if a DAPP can call and run another DAPP within it self?

I was not aware that Trinity could run a plugin namely a file plugin that should allow some sort of versioning to take place if the DAPP is written properly.

The more I learn about Elastos the more I am impressed with how well thought out it is…

1 Like

There will likely be a dapp sidechain which trinity will use to keep track of the DApps for trinity while the actual DApps are stored on elastos hive. And then a dapp lifecycle management can be established for trinity after that.

1 Like